Monday, February 15, 2010

A Rather Long Day

Rejoice, for I have finally found free wifi. Naturally, this means I get to catch up on all my webcomics. Naturally.

I'm in Argyle Backpackers right now, in Edinburgh. I just got in, perhaps close to an hour ago. I had contemplated writing last night, but a series of events led me to be out on the streets of Glasgow until the wee hours of the morning.

I started my day at about 9:00am yesterday, walked down to the nearest underground station, just to find it didn't open until 10, which was TWO whole hours earlier than ANYTHING else opened in Glasgow on a Sunday. Religious folk - expected to be in Church prior to noon, I suppose. Either that, or they were all out drinking until the crack of dawn, and can't be expected to work prior to noon. I suspect it is part of the first, and most of the latter. So while I was waiting for the underground to open, I walked around the block, and bumped into one of the guys at the hostel whom I had spoken with after breakfast. He was looking for a church to go to, so I walked with him for a couple of blocks to kill time. We found a pretty building, and thought it was a church at first, but apparently it was an apartment suite of some kind.



And it had the COOLEST pillars - geologists, arm yourselves with a mop.  You'll need it.



I headed back after that, and caught my subway train (I have never been so claustrophobic in my entire life...very very small platforms, approximately the length of myself with my arms outstretched was the only distance between the edges of the two platforms where the trains came in, and it was maybe 12 feet high at most - I actually had to close my eyes and breathe through my mouth as the train came to a halt.)  I was okay once I got on the train though, and the station I got off at was much bigger, but it reeked of the foulest stench.  Mm, old pee. 

I spent the better part of my morning in East Side, was going to go to the Barras Flea Market, but it was closed, even when it shouldn't have been, and that is probably for the best, anyhow.  SHANTY TOWN.


Very slummy, and somewhat disturbing.  I wasn't really comfortable lurking around the area.  To kill time, because remember, it was Sunday and nothing was open, I walked uphill and saw the Museum of Religious Life (which was clear from the rain, and free) - for a museum, it was not bad.  They had a gorgeous marble sculpture of Shiva, and another beautiful one of Ganesh.  I saw a statue of Joan of Arc (who is by far my most favourite historical figure, next to King Arthur, anyhow).  I was somewhat disappointed that paganism wasn't really represented in the museum, unless one Greek vase, and one statue of Hermes counts. 


I skipped the cathedral, due to a Sunday service - and I wasn't going anywhere near the Necropolis.  Dead people, ugh.  I snapped a few photos from a distance. 

Later in the day, after much more walking and some small shopping, I again bumped into that guy from the hostel (his name is Neil, by the way, and he's Scottish) - and his hostel roommate, Alexander, who was from Brazil.  We went for lunch, and ended up spending the remainder of the day together, until the wee hours of the morning.  Checked out the University of Glasgow, the sight of which produces an envy that to the nine depths of hell I cannot describe.  Just look at the photos:  


I deliberately set out to find the earth sciences department.  More envy - it's gorgeous in there.  Why does my university have to be made from concrete?  No fair, I say.  NO FAIR.

Anyhow, I really wanted to go see a live band play yesterday evening, but the place I wanted to go to - King Tut's Wah Wah's Hut - was completely sold out, even though the website said nothing of the kind.  It's unfortunate, because Oasis and Snow Patrol were discovered there, and it would have been really cool to see.  Instead, we settled for pub hopping, and eventually got free admission into some club - we didn't stay long after deciding we were years older than everyone inside.  I think we got back sometime around 1am.

I left this morning for Edinburgh, where I am right now - and I think that I have been sitting for too long, so it's time to go wander around.  Adíos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and look at that you arrive in the grand capital of the glorious contry to be greeted by RAIN ... well it was rainign when I arrived at 10 and left at 1 ... oddly enough people were still trying to flog stuff of to us in the rain persuming we were tourists!!!

Go to the museum on chamber street, when you on royal mile coming up from parliment turnm left at Deacon Brodies then straight down past the libary of scotland and there ya go its free entry, nice geologist stuff there.

Katee-Leigh said...

I got in at 12:30 - and I DID go to the Museum! (The one made out of sandstone, right? By George IV Bridge and...something. Chamber St? I think we're talking about the same place.

And I saw some cool stuff, but where was the geology? There was little kids running rampant, and I didn't stay too long.