Thursday, December 15, 2011

Yeah, I haven't really been all that interested in posting lately.  I can't really be bothered to do much of anything lately, really.  I'm probably wrong, and maybe it's just because it is the Christmas season at home and people are busy being full of family things, and baking, and shopping, and other miscellaneous Christmas related/family related things, but I've been pretty depressed the last couple of days, even though I've played with elephants, and I'm out exploring all these cool things.  I haven't heard from many people at home lately, I guess. 

It's no fault of yours - you all have lives too.  I guess I just feel a little forgotten about.  Roommates who don't send emails, family members who don't comment on my blogs, etc.  It leaves me with little inclination to share my travels, simply because I don't feel like I'm being paid attention to.

I'm probably just being moody.

Did anyone see that lunar eclipse?  I didn't even really know about it, until I was traveling by train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.  Tim and I watched it from our window as we fell asleep that night.  I wanted to see the whole thing, but I fell asleep before it happened.

The train ride was really cool - I've never ridden in a sleeper train before.  We caught it in the evening from Bangkok, after a very rushed day of ferry rides, and seeing Wat Arun, and even going for a semi-okay meal of fish and chips at a British restaurant.  The fish and chips were sub-par, however, I had an amazing cheese and branston pickle sandwich (oh branston pickle, how I love you so) ...oh, and Tim got himself a suit tailored.  Some very sharp looking wool.


 Wat Arun, in Bangkok - from the other day when I couldn`t load photos

We met a really cool couple on the train from England - they live in Chiang Mai now, and were both vegan, and gave me this huge list of vegan/veggie places to eat in Chiang Mai and Pai.  I've eaten at all of them now - and they've all been fantastic, including this one place we've eaten at a few times now, where we get a full vegan thai meal for 20B (less than a dollar).  The place we went to today at lunch was spectacular - I had an avocado sandwich, and a soy-avocado-banana smoothie (you don't understand how hard it's been to try and find soy alternatives in this country.  I've gotten really good at asking for "no milk" with lots of hand shaking and head waving) ...and their scones are so fantastic we're going to return there for breakfast in the morning.  Oh, how I love real food.




We've done a ton of stuff while we've been in Chiang Mai, despite my mood.  The morning we got in, we acquired a guesthouse (which we're no longer in, as the beds were hard, and there were too many people and we could only book three nights anyhow) ...and we spent the day at a thai massage place (the legitimate kind).  That night was a Sunday Walking Market, and the streets filled up with vendors, and we shopped until 10PM that night.  We both found really cool, handmade leather journals, and I got some postcards, and a jade bracelet.  Just little odds and ends - ate some delicious sticky rice out of a bamboo stick - love that stuff!

The next day, we rented bicycles and cycled around the city - my bike was baller.  The day after that, was elephants.  After having cancelled that 7-day elephant trek, I wanted to still see elephants while we were up here, and so with the same company, we booked a one-day volunteer thing at the sanctuary grounds.  Holy hell, it was touristy.  Trying to take photos of elephants without tourists in the way was bullshit.  And so many Americans!  Oh Americans, why are you so rude when you travel?  Why can't you be nice and polite like Canadians?






It was still really cool though - we got to feed elephants, and then they fed us a delicious thai veggie meal (pumpkin soup, oh my god) and we got to bathe elephants in the river.  It was a lot of fun to throw buckets of water onto the elephants and wash all the mud from them (not that it lasted long; darned things roll in the mud after they finish bathing!) ...elephants are beautiful creatures.  Each one has their own mahout (guy who belongs to the elephant and trains/takes care of them) ...and the park itself has 36 elephants, including two baby elephants that were unduly adorable.  I even got kissed by an elephant, which is far grosser than it sounds.  My goal for the day was to high-five an elephant, and it never happened, but I can't win them all - Tim got to high-five one and I didn't even see it!





Yesterday, we took a cooking course, and basically spent the entire day cooking and eating.  I finally found a bag of dried chilli's at the market, and I bought a giant bag of them.  In Thailand, they serve four sauces with each meal - something spicy (dried chili), bitter (fish sauce), sweet (sugar), and sour (limes).  The dried chilli's are delicious - and I bought a kilo of it.



The cooking course was great - there were 6 of us in our class, and we learned how to cook five dishes: stirfry, curry, soup, salad/appetizer, and dessert.  I chose: fried cashew nut with tofu, papaya salad, tofu in coconut milk soup, panaeng curry, and mango with sticky-rice.  I think the curry was my favourite dish - we made our own curry paste from scratch, and I liked the panaeng curry spice so much I returned to the market to buy some of my own.  It's delicious!  The school gave us a cook-book with all the recipes in it, and each recipe includes the vegetarian alternative (as all the meals are originally meat-heavy)  ...fish sauce is disgusting, I'm sorry.




I haven't been sleeping well lately - Thai's are very fond of hard beds, and between that, a few late nights, and my sore shoulder (thank you backpack, you jerk) ...I've been sleeping terribly.  As such, I crashed at 6PM last night, and didn't wake until 7 this morning.

Tonight is our last night in Chiang Mai and we're going to go meet that couple we met on the train at a bar - it's called the Rooftop Bar, and plays live reggae music, and has a giant potleaf plastered to the front of the bar.  Should be a good time!

3 comments:

Debi said...

katee i can relate to your feelings of being 'forgotten' about by the rest of the world. i have been blogging for 3 years and other then Bonnie no one ever comments. i think people are too busy to read and comment. they are being deceived into a busy lifestyle that prevents them from reading anything that is 3 lines long. i am enjoying your travels and your stories. soak it all up. it is a beautiful thing you are doing. you got to make your own curry paste!! oh my! i wish! and the elephants... i saw them in the distance in africa but to be up close and personal would be mind blowing! keep looking up.

Ben said...

Can you translate "my bike was baller" into english?

Bonnie said...

Hi there my little chickadee - I miss you. Sorry I haven't commented on the last 2 entries - I had a really long whitty response all written up and when I went to publish it the stupid google account did a glitchy thing and deleted my comment, so I got pissed off... sorry. Dad reads everyone of your blogs - savors the words and loves the pics - he even commented on the fact that you are a great writer and you know how stingy he is with his compliments).

Dad and I went to the Christmas Market the other day and I thought of you and the lovely day we had last year. It's been sunny and really cold, but no snow ... which is a yippy for me. There are little snowdrop flowers poking out of the ground already and yesterday I saw a little dandilion growing beside the driveway - confused flowers.

So glad you got to play with the elephants. Rene' was telling me about the elephant drool, was that the gross kiss. If the American tourist drove you nuts just for that one day, can you imagine being surrounded by them for 7 days ... I want my money back!!!

Okay I need a translation - is "my bike was baller" a good thing?? Either way I love, love, love that little bike - nice and simple, perfect for me. All that's missing is a back fender. Are the bike riders in the city as nuts as the drivers - do you need a big horn, or does fist shaking suffice.

I sure would have loved to take that cooking course with you. Did I give you a Thai cookbook, or maybe I gave it to Rene'. It was a book from a famous Thai chef in Hawaii - authentic recipes. If you want it, I'll ask Rene' if he would mind if I gave it to you. I'd love to look at the cookbook you got and see how they made their curry paste. I love that stuff. Oh, and thank you so much for the lime leaves - I'v been out of them for awhile. Dad will like the tea - he's so funny, everynite he makes a little pot of Morrocan Mint tea and drinks it out of the traditional little Chinese teacups. We've only found the tea at Murchies and are almost out, so I have to find a recipe for the proportions of mint to gunpowder green tea.

Branston Pickle, you love branston pickle ... me to. In fact I made them one year - really easy. I'll have to find the recipe for you.

Well I should get ready, off to the post office - I had really good intentions of sending out hand made Christmas cards this year - finally finished them, but not in the mail yet. Oh well they will be late, but not forgotten. Gotta get some points for that haha.

Love you Katee
xxx mama xxx

p.s. tell Tim I loved his little flappy hand monkey dance - made me chuckle, especially with you gigglying in the background.