Thursday, January 05, 2012

2012: the year the world ends

I wrote this up on New Year's Eve, and going through my computer, I just found the word document for it.  I had completely forgotten that I did it.  So I thought I would toss it on the blog before I randomly delete it, or forget about it again. 

2011.  It’s been a pretty crazy year, when I stop and think about it.  I tore my tricep and my deltoid muscles, I went back to work in the arctic, I ran away from one relationship, only to run to a new one by the end of the year.  I’ve been to England, France, Spain, Thailand, and now India, all in this year.  I moved away from the only city I’ve ever lived in, and I’ve got my first roommate.  I cycled across Vancouver Island, and I entered my first real bike race.  I got a new tattoo, and I’ve been bitten by countless mosquitoes.  I’ve seen the aurora, and been kissed by an elephant, and I high-fived a monkey.  I watched the sun set from the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and I worked 84 hours a week, for 6 months of the year, in one of the coldest places on Earth.  I turned a quarter century.

It’s pretty ridiculous, when you stop and think about it.

Everybody makes New Year’s Resolutions, and I think they’re stupid.  I refuse to make a New Year’s Resolution.  Instead, I have good intentions of accomplishing many things next year.  I might not do them, and that’s okay.  I can only try, right? 

2012, I wanna:
-Raise $2500 so I can cycle the Ride to Conquer Cancer, a 250km ride from Vancouver to Seattle, in support of cancer research.  (Donations are more than welcome here)
-Save money like it’s going out of style
-Alternatively, purchase a new: SLR (60D or 5D Mark II please!), road bike, laptop
-Rock the Smithers backroads until I have them memorized
-See the Queen Charlottes
-Cut down my first Christmas tree
-Have a white Christmas
-Winter camping in Yellowknife
-Proper aurora photography
-Not have my relationship fall apart because of distance
-See Thomas get married
-Go to Shambhala
-Not have my job suck the soul out of me
-Get my TEFL certificate
-Get a good old fashioned game of D&D started up, Smithers style
-Learn to cook a good, proper, hearty stew without meat or milk

And the list goes on.  I’ve opted against partying in Mumbai for New Years Eve, though I did stay out until 10PM tonight (which is practically forever for me – I turn into a pumpkin at midnight anyhow) ...but today after I posted my last post was good, regardless (irregardless, even).  I went and saw Don 2, a bollywood film with India’s top actor in it (whose name I forget).  There weren’t subtitles, but I understood the majority of the film.  Bollywood is NUTS.  It was a high-impact action movie, where the actors would occasionally just burst into song.  And I loved every minute of it.  I think I need to see more of Bollywood now. 

After that, I wandered the shops for a bit, and headed back, and here I am.  Tomorrow, to Delhi!
 
Obviously, I'm in Delhi now - but I wanted to add that before I forgot it existed/deleted it/an asteroid crash landed directly onto my computer ruining it forever.  I'm tired tonight, I'll write about my day tomorrow before I leave for Sirsa.  It wasn't that exciting anyhow - I slept really poorly last night and was super lazy today, but hey, it happens.  Right.  Post.  Tomorrow.

0 comments: