Saturday, November 26, 2016

The very belated, but brief ending to Nicaragua

Despite radio silence, I did indeed survive Nicaragua and make it back alive.  Almost the entire rest of the trip, we had electricity disruptions, or a complete lack of wifi, and then I got a little sick from having bad water, and I gave up completely.

The rest of the trip was actually really good.  My foot healed after a few days, although it did stay black for a while.  I made do without sandals by going barefoot on beaches, and wearing hiking boots the entire rest of the time (my poor, hot feet).  Alan nearly lost his phone in Granada (but we went back and got it), he DID lose his towel, and mine got eaten by a puppy in Las Peñitas.  Alan passed his diving class, and is now a certified diver, and I spent 6 days on an island in the Caribbean, drinking bad water, terrified of literally everything, from the noni fruit, to the tarantulas (seriously, tarantulas), and I got a wicked sunburn on my legs, but I made friends with a flirting local who cut me a day's worth of coconuts from a tree, and showed me how to tap into them with my pocket knife, and I made friends with another dive instructor who I referred to as "Other Alan", and we had a good time at the bar after dark (once I felt strong enough to drink again - thanks, shitty Caribbean water).

We made due.  We saw active lava in Granada, and were shooed off the volcanoes with the words "But the Russians are coming" and then the police showed up, and nobody could explain to us anything in English except "The Russians are coming" and then we were made to leave.

Overall, it was a good trip.  ...but most of the people (all five of you) who read this, already know.  Although, I did promises some photos.  So here are a select few, in no particular order:

















0 comments: