Friday, November 24, 2017

An Irish Escapade, Thoughts on Little Sleep

"But Alan, WHY can't I drink six espressos?"

I exclaimed, sitting in the Amsterdam airport on a four hour layover, after an entire day of flying. 

Perhaps I should have questioned the fact that I was even asking that question.  I did have one espresso.  One glorious, eurocentric god-given espresso.  Real coffee.  All these years, I never knew what I was missing.  Coffee is barely worth drinking at home in comparison.

Our flights were uneventful.  We got up at 4am in Yellowknife to -30C weather, scratched the dog goodbye, couldn't find the cat for hugs, hopped in a taxi.  We made it to Calgary without any problems, and even bumped into our friend Marrissa at the airport.  She was headed to San Francisco for the weekend. 

The Calgary layover was five dull hours.  We wandered about until our feet hurt.  We ate some sad breakfast at a Montana's (Alberta:  please make better airport food.  I'm always disappointed.), and once we got our seats and made it through security, we found places to nap.  Ate some chocolate.  Walked about.  We even got to sit together on the plane!

Nine hours later, we made it to Amsterdam, where we had a four hour layover.  We thought about leaving the airport for a bit for some fresh air, but that would have meant going through customs, out, back in through security, and that didn't seem appealing at first.  In retrospect, we totally should have.  As it was, we got some espressos, wandered about.  We ate so many servings of free cheese and stroopwafels as we walked around, I bought a bag of pepernoten.  I lamented that the airport stroopwafels were overpriced, and if we just went through security, we could buy appropriately priced stroopwafels. 

Food.  I love European food as a general rule. 

I finally found some sleep on the flight from Amsterdam to Dublin, after over 24 hours awake.  We landed in Dublin at 12:40pm and met up with Jamie on the other side of arrivals.  He flew in from London two hours earlier than us. 

We took the bus into town, and checked into our hostel.  I'm sitting here this morning waiting for Alan and Jamie to wake up (...it is DAYLIGHT OUT, god).  I've been up since five.  There's only so long I can lay in bed and read.  I snuck into Alan's bed for cuddles for a little while, but I got restless, so I'm sitting downstairs eating breakfast.  It's nice, actually - they're playing good tunes. 

After we checked into the hostel, we went for a walk around to get some food.  The guy at reception recommended a place called O'Neill's for dinner if we wanted some good hearty food and a good pint, so we did just that.  O'Neill's was a neat little pub.  We sat at the bar and tried some local craft brewing (except for Jamie, who went for the black stuff).  It is apparently American thanksgiving this weekend, and the pub had a special thanksgiving menu on a la carte.  For 13 euro, I got myself some poached salmon with butternut squash, brussell sprouts, and carrots.  Alan had some solid irish lamb stew, and Jamie went for the cheeseburger.  Self-professed picky kid.

We ate till it hurt, chatted with an american guy next to us at the bar who was here for work (friendly fellow from New Hampshire named Paxton), and then we left.  We didn't make it far until we found this awesome little doughnut shop, and I got to eat a jaffa cake flavoured doughnut. 

That pretty much maxed out our energies though, so we came back to the hostel, showered, tried to plan our day, chatted with the other people in the hostel (some american girls living in Seville, Spain and just here for the long weekend).  We were all in bed pretty quick. 

Today on the docket is my insistence that we go to this really cool library at the university, maybe see a cathedral, go to the museum, etc.  At 3pm, we have booked a distillery tour with a craft distillery in town (because the Guiness storehouse is 25 euro, and the Jameson distillery doesn't sound that exciting).  I found this place online, and for 20 euro, we get to taste three craft whiskys.  Now, I just have to go upstairs, and tell the guys I booked it!

(and wake them up.  Seriously, it's almost 9am.)

1 comments:

Bonnie said...

Have a great time Katee Mo ghrá thú