Monday, November 07, 2011

Home sweet home?

Greetings from the desolate north!  Okay, so I'm somewhat kidding.  The move went as well as a move can go, for those of you who were curious.  I accidentally slept in yesterday morning, but thanks to daylights savings time, I was rescued from being terribly late to pick up my UHaul, which was all the way in Surrey for some wretched reason, and we still ended up having to take a taxi (DST saved us somewhat; not in totality) ...$1300 later, we drove the UHaul off the lot. 

Spent the better part of the day moving and packing at the same time, as I was nowhere near ready to move by the time yesterday morning rolled around, but thankfully (and thank you again!) Kathleen and her boyfriend Ian came by in the morning and stayed for the day and helped out.  It was really appreciated...especially the homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast/lunch/I-ate-five-of-them-before-the-day-was-over.  We were finished and packed up, and all ready to leave by about 5:30, I think, when we dropped some extra stuff and my little kitty cat off at mom's house.

I feel a bit bad - Damon got a bit lost coming over the Golden Ears Bridge.  I was on the phone with Thomas, and wasn't paying any attention, and he missed the HWY exit, and then by the time I started paying attention again, we were on 200th and passing Willowbrook.  Thanks to smart phones, it was a quick fix.

We stopped for food in Hope, at...Joe's Bistro?  I was impressed with it, actually - it's right in the centre of town, and it actually served organic food.  A quaint surprise.  I even managed to find vegetarian food, though I think there was only one or two things on the whole menu.  And after that...we just drove.  We switched turns after Hope, and I drove for a bit...on the Hope-Princton, in the dark, in a one ton truck.  I think I lasted about a half hour, before we had to switch again.  I had never driven in the dark before, and the highway was scaring the crap out of me.  I was actually shaking after we switched...and then I promptly passed right out.  Make fun of me if you want, but hey, I'm new at this.

Damon drove the rest of the way until dawn, though we both slept outside a gas station in PG for an hour or so.  We switched again at dawn, after I had a fitful sleep at best in the passenger seat.  I shotgun'd an energy drink, and drove until we hit Telkwa at 11am.  Made breakfast, met his mom, and went to sleep.

Now it's sunset, I've showered and checked my emails, and I kinda want to go back to sleep now.  I have to admit though, I hope Smithers leaves a better impression on me than Telkwa has so far, because I seriously feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

To be fair, the middle of nowhere is gorgeous, and when the sun was rising over the horizon, coating the frosted mountains with its glow, it was hard to keep my eyes on the road.  Then again, that could have been from the lack of sleep and caffeine-fueled veins, too.  

Oh, and there was snow from PG onwards.  What-the-fuck, it's the beginning of November.


 

1 comments:

Bonnie said...

Holy crappola you drove a truck, a big truck - way to go. Sorry I didn't get to actually say goodbye - we got back from Victoria about 3:00 but thought you would have hit the road already so I didn't think to phone.

love ya
xx mama xx