Tuesday, November 27, 2018

A day of Markets

Bed bugs aside, I woke up on Tuesday feeling a lot better.  Fever broke, sore throat is gone, and I'm just left with some general malaise and the sniffles.  I can be a whole person again.  Spent the early morning dealing with the bed bug issue discussed previously - aka, laundry, moving rooms, etc.  After that was dealt with, I headed down for the opening of the Christmas market at Marienplatz.  I enjoyed a mug of steaming apple cider (winterapfel!), and the person serving me seemed really excited to serve an English speaking person.  In German, after I ordered, he called out to one of his friends, but I only caught something about the English person, and he seemed happy and animated about it.  Maybe he was just happy to practice English, maybe he was happy a non-native was trying out the local stuff.  A bunch of Germans were drinking gluhwein already, but I'm supposed to be avoiding yeast (aka wine) and it was only morning anyhow. 

Mostly today I just walked about.  I walked all around the Christmas market at Marienplatz, I climbed the bell tower at St. Peterskirche and marveled at the view of Munich with all its snowy dusted rooftops.  I watched the glockenspiel again on the new town hall, ended up at another couple of markets by sheer coincidence (a medieval market, and a LGBTQ+ market!) and wandered through Englischer Garten (a great big park). 

It was beautiful, and snowing lightly, and I've just had an all around decent day.  It's late now, and I'm feeling a little sick, but I'm well fed, I'm tired, and I've seen so many beautiful things today. 

Tomorrow I'm on to Salzburg, birthplace of Mozart and The Sound of Music, and coincidentally, my birthday, too.

The wet city centre

Christmas Market season is upon us!

Inside Frauenkirche


I love how just her breast is worn shiny.

The view from the belltower at St. Peterskirche

Frauenkirche (the church of our lady).  No building in Munich is allowed to be taller than her twin towers.


Hitler was arrested here in 1923 during the Beer Hall Putsch! 

Medieval market

Shrine to the goddess Diana


Some crazy ass ducks.

Englischer Garten

I panned a duck!


0 comments: