Saturday, November 24, 2018

Tired ramblings

Not much to report on my part.  I've made it safely to Munich, and I'm honestly just really, really jet-lagged.  My stomach is bugging me - I think I might have eaten something off the no-list by accident.  I downloaded a german translator to my phone and have been checking all the ingredients in stuff, but it's hard.

Really hard.

I left Iqaluit to Ottawa no problems, despite my worries about the weather, it actually cleared up into a really beautiful day.  I spent the flight down chatting with our new maintenance manager - seems like a decent fellow.  I also chatted with a retired nurse who complimented me on my hair.  She said it had a lot of movement and then compared her feelings on my hair to her feelings on purchasing carvings in the north.  She told me a story about her narwhal carving and how she imagines it actually swimming when she looks at it. 

Nice lady.  Odd duck. 

I didn't make my Toronto connection because the flight was full, which meant I didn't make my Toronto to Munich connection, either.  Instead of risking taking the later Ottawa-Toronto flight, I canceled everything and flew direct to London from Ottawa. 

I miraculously slept most of the flight on and off, and I rejoiced in my brief time on English soil, immediately taking out pounds sterling and buying a book, some ribena, and some candies.  I also re-caffeinated myself and managed breakfast (that I hope hope hope was safe).  By this point, I was tired and smelly, and still had to get on my flight to Munich (which I did, with no issue). 

Getting from the airport to my hostel was a little confusing, but I sorted it out in the end.  My downloaded map saved the day!  Munich makes no sense.  The roads are all curvy and I can't pronounce anything well.  My hostel is nice, and I'm really grateful to be on the second floor, because the bar is below and this evening they are playing karaoke.  I had to endure it while I cooked dinner, as the kitchen and the bar and side-by-side...at least I can say they are having fun.  Last time I ventured out of my room, a team of people were belting out Bohemian Rhapsody at a decibel I imagine warrants hearing protection. 

After I checked into my hostel, I grabbed some cash and went for a wander.  It's a few days away from the start of the Christmas markets, and all the booths look like they're getting ready to set up.  I wandered aimlessly for a few hours, just taking in the atmosphere of a big city and trying not to feel overwhelmed.  I tried to find food to eat, but I feel too nervous.  As it is, I feel really ill right now.  I'm sure I ate something I shouldn't have.  I hope this doesn't mean I have to start the elimination diet all over again.  It's really hard to find food I can eat - my dinner was a pathetic affair of canned tomatoes and lentils. 

Anyhow, I'm tired and cranky, and my throat hurts, and I've been awake far too long.  Tomorrow is Sunday, and the museums in town are only a euro each.  I'm going to hit up a few of them, and also this giant salad chain I found online, because I think I'll be able to find a good lunch there.  I've bought some generic groceries to eat for breakfast (oats, bananas, and the like), and I've got enough of the weird lentil dish to eat one more meal.  If this salad place works out, I'm gonna order two meals and squirrel them away like a little chipmunk prepping for winter.*


*I won't actually store salad in my cheeks.  That's gross.

0 comments: