Thursday, June 30, 2011

A day by train

I completely forgot to mention yesterday that we drove along part of the road belonging to the Tour de France.  I don't know HOW I forgot - it was practically the highlight of my day the other day...and I forgot.  THE TOUR DE FRANCE! 

But there are definitely worse ways to spend one's day.  I'm sitting in the deliciously warm sunshine outside the Rennes Gare, waiting for a connecting train to Pontorson (aka, Mont Saint Michel) - you know, that benedictine monastery from the 13th century that's only accessible at low tide?  Yeah, that.  I'm staying in a town 9km from the monastery, and I'm going to spend my evening trying to locate a place that will rent me a bike for tomorrow. 

For the geographically challenged, I was in Auvergne in the middle of France this morning, and 4 transfers by train later, I'm now in Brittany.  And it's pretty beautiful, I gotta say.  Not that I'm really aware of what the landscape looked like between here and Le Mans - I fell asleep.  But such is life - I passed fields of sunflowers and corn and wheat in the earlier part of my trip, and let's just say, the scenery has been incredibly easy on the eyes. 

I've got two hours or so to kill, and I found some free wifi, so I'm trying to charge my iPod, as it died exactly one song before my Mumford and Sons album finished.  How dare my iPod interrupt Mumford and Sons like that (I can picture Damon saying something like "Oh hell yeah, Mumford and Sons). 

I decided to try a quiche lorraine for lunch...they're gross.  I ate it anyhow, and I'm still trying to decide if it was a mistake or not.

Anyhow, this is just a quickie to give myself something to do while waiting for the train - I walked around the train station a little bit, but my bag is rather heavy now, with mead and honey, and I don't feel like walking very far. 

Hopefully I find a bike tonight! 

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

You got honey ... I think I might have forgotten to mention that I love honey. Toast and honey every morning.

Thank you so much for the soap - do you want me to bring you back a rock from Atikokan :)

love you
xx mama xx

Damon said...

Hells yeah, Mumford & Sons.