Monday, June 20, 2011

Madrid es trés chaud

That might not be proper French in the title.  I don't particularly care.  Okay, where to start!  I'm in Madrid.  Yes, mother 'effing Madrid, SPAIN, and the weather was 33C today.  I'm several shades pinker than I was however many hours ago it was that I left home.  See, 33C. 


I also haven't slept yet.  The flight to London was uneventful, except for the fact that cheap tickets also means a complete lack of leg room.  I'm not a super tall gal, and my knees touched the seat in front of me for nine and a half hours.  It blew.  To top it off, the guy behind me couldn't get comfortable and kept bumping my seat.  I actually got mad at him after the umpteenth time he did it.  On the plus side, I did get the best airplane food I've ever had.  IT EVEN HAD CHEDDAR.  


But other than that, getting to London was uneventful.  Customs went swimmingly, I got another stamp in my passport, and then I had to frantically rush to catch my plane to Madrid...which I did, obviously, but it was ridiculous getting to the gate.  Just lots of running around and miscommunication and whatnot - but I was treated to the best sandwich of my life after I made it through security for a second time.  Roasted sundried tomatoes soaked in olive oil, fresh feta (honestly the best feta I've ever had) and rocket on a pumperknickel/rye bread baguette.  I didn't care that it was 8:30 in the morning and I was eating lunch.  It was delicious.  Actually, in terms of food - everything has been the best ever so far.  My last minute-last Starbucks in Canada was made to perfection (thanks to the barista at Waterfront Station), I tried a delicious little spanish pastry with pine nuts and marzipan, and some fantastic food down the street from Yoann's place.  Senegalese food has a place in my heart, now. 

Starbucks, en espagñol.



Madrid itself is pretty hectic - I got in around 3PM and wandered around for a while, then made what is most likely a very expensive phone call to Yoann, my lovely couchsurfing host, and I met up with him.  We wandered all around Madrid (lots of pretty little alleyways, and terracotta shingles, and stereotypical spanish things), and we had tasty food, and he showed me lots of lovely things.  He's really interesting - he's an engineering geologist in the oil industry, and he is French, and he cycles, and can speak more languages than I could hope to even try.  I had an awesome day with him.  Here is a picture:


It is getting late, and the fact that I haven't slept in quite literally days is finally catching up with me.  I leave Madrid tomorrow and head back to London to meet up with Steve and see Much Ado About Nothing, starring my favouritest Brit EVER - David Tennant.  And here's one last picture, because it looks amazing!


Adíos amigos!

1 comments:

vio said...

Heyy Your title is right ... just forgot a " t " at the end of " es " cos it's the third person anyway .. i'm impressed !